Finding Your Perfect Parenting Products
- July 20,2018
With all of the products on the market, it's easy to get overwhelmed by the process of creating your baby registry. Of course it's easy to get advice from friends and family members...every parent loves to share what works for them... however, if your sister/childhood bestie/college roommate is living in a single family home in a suburb and your living in a walkup in Brooklyn, you're bound to have different needs.
We asked Monica Banks, the founder of Gugu Guru, three questions to help simplify the baby registry process for you.
1.What do you wish expecting parents knew before starting their baby registry?
That every single parent is different and that even if something worked for your best friend or your sibling, it does not mean that it will work for you. Friendly advice and customer reviews can only take you so far when you’re a first-time parent creating a baby registry. This is why all of Gugu Guru’s product recommendations are driven by a style and lifestyle quiz. We get to know you before we ever suggest what gear would be a good fit for your family.
2. What are the top 3 pieces of gear you recommend to every new parent?
Three products that we pretty much always recommend and that are a fit for most parents regardless of lifestyle, budget, etc., are:
1. Fridababy Baby Basics Kit. This ultimate baby care kit includes the ever popular NoseFrida The Snotsucker, the pediatrician-recommended cult favorite natural, hygienic baby nasal aspirator; Windi The GasPasser, the doctor-invented hollow tube that lets gas escape and calms colic, instantly and naturally; NailFrida The SnipperClipper, the clipper-meets-scissors mashup designed for little fingers with a safety spyhole to see where to clip, plus an S-Curved nail file to smooth rough edges; and DermaFrida The SkinSoother, the antibacterial silicone baby bath brush that will keep baby’s skin healthy and flake free.
2. Crane USA humidifier: A humidifier in the nursery can help keep sniffles away for baby, making for easier late-night feedings. The Crane Drop or Adorables humidifiers are our go-to because they look stylish in just about any nursery design, thanks to the many color and style options and they’re super easy to use. Not only are these humidifiers whisper quiet but they require no filter so there are no extra parts for parents to worry about keeping track of.
3. Love to Dream Swaddle UP: The Love To Dream Swaddle UP Original is the only zip-up swaddle that allows babies to sleep in the natural position with their hands safely up in the wings. Allowing babies to sleep safely with their arms up may actually help babies sleep better – and when babies sleep more soundly, the whole house does!
3. Is there any one product that you repeatedly tell parents they don’t need?
I wouldn’t say that there is one specific product necessarily. I have come to realize in parenting that with every product selection the rule of thumb is, “to each his/her own.” For example, we posted a poll on our Instagram a while ago that simply said, “Wipe Warmers – Yes or No?” I thought for sure that there wouldn’t be many – if any- people who adamantly said wipe warmers were a must-have, but I was wrong. Some people commented that wipe warmers were an absolute essential to keeping baby in a restful state during middle-of-the-night diaper changes because the baby isn’t stirred by a cold wipe. We all know that sleep is elusive for new parents so if a wipe warmer can buy you a few more minutes of slumber in those early months, who am I to say that it’s not needed?
However, one thing I do caution about often is quantities. There are lots of those baby registry spreadsheets and checklists floating around that say ridiculous things like you need to add 20 onesies to your registry. I know that when I was pregnant with my first, I followed one of those spreadsheets and to this day – eight years later – I am still pulling baby items out of the dresser that were never worn. Bottomline: you just don’t need that much.
Take Gugu Guru's lifestyle quiz to discover your perfect parenting products.