How to Become a Successful Mompreneur in 2023
- April 04,2023
The beauty of entrepreneurship stems from the fact that everyone has the power and capability to run a successful business. This holds true for stay-at-home moms as well. Through managing tasks such as childcare, home chores, and other responsibilities, moms naturally develop the skills of time management, prioritization, and communication which can easily be transferred into a business setting. In this article by BabyFlix, we’ll provide an in-depth guide on how to start and manage a business as a stay-at-home mom.
Best Business Ideas for Mompreneurs
Not all businesses are made equal, they differ widely depending on the amount of investment required in terms of time, effort, and money. Hence, your first step will be to choose the business that is the right fit, and here are some great options to consider:
● Virtual Assistant (VA): A VA plays an important role in the success of today’s digital-first businesses. As a VA, you’ll be responsible for tasks such as email screening, mailing, interview scheduling, trip planning, and more. Additionally, you can have the freedom to choose your hours and demand higher compensation with experience.
● Tutoring: As reported by Grandview Research, the online tutoring market is predicted to grow at a CAGR of 14% from 2020 - 2030. The key to success as a tutor will be to choose a niche, such as teaching a foreign language, competitive exam preparation, etc., and build a customer base by selling your services locally and requesting references for future customers.
● Etsy Shop: If you’re an artistic individual, consider creating handmade items, such as candles, jewelry, portraits, etc., to be sold on Etsy. Etsy is an established online platform used by artists to sell their work, as it allows one to easily reach a large audience and earn a healthy amount of commission per sale.
Importance of Marketing Your Business
Once you’ve decided on the type of business to pursue, it’s time to turn your attention toward marketing. Marketing involves all activities related to promoting your business, educating customers about your product offerings, and motivating them to make purchases. Here are the best marketing activities to follow for your business:
● Digital Marketing: Create accounts on Instagram, TikTok, and other prominent platforms and post regularly about the products/services you offer. The key to getting the most eyeballs will be using trending hashtags relevant to your niche. If this isn’t your forte, consider completing an online course on digital marketing to get up to speed with strategies used by the best marketers worldwide.
● Free Digital Tools: There are plenty of free online tools that make marketing much easier. From business card templates to file converters, look around online before paying for any of these products. For instance, if you want to convert a PDF to a JPG for easier online posting, give this a view. It’s a free tool that allows you to drop in a file and change the file type with just one click.
● Search Engine Optimization (SEO): SEO refers to the activities marketers undertake to rank their content higher on SERP — i.e., search engine results page. This includes researching high-volume keywords, including them on your website plus blogs, and undertaking link-building activities. Similar to digital marketing, you can consider taking online courses to review the types of SEO services best for your business.
Maintaining Good Work-Life Balance
According to research by The Rockefeller Foundation, exhaustion, burnout, and loneliness are common mental health problems faced by entrepreneurs. This is caused mainly due to focusing solely on the business, resulting in poor nutritional intake, inadequate sleep, and lack of socialization. As a mompreneur, one of your goals should be to develop a healthy work-life balance through the following ways:
● Schedule Breaks: Rather than working endlessly from 9 am to 5 pm, schedule 10-15 minutes breaks every 2-3 hours. Use these breaks to hydrate, eat a quick snack or take a walk around your home or the neighborhood.
● Prioritize Sleep and Nutrition: When making your daily schedule, including concrete times for meals and going to bed. This will help to keep your body and mind healthy, in addition to increasing your ability to keep stress at bay.
● Purchase Houseplants: Having houseplants around the home and workspace is known to provide numerous mental health benefits, such as happier moods and a reduction in stress levels. Additionally, they help to purify the air of toxins.
Make a Plan for Success
Starting a business as a stay-at-home mom can seem challenging at first. However, with the right approach, you can turn it into a successful endeavor. While investing in marketing will be key for growth, remember to optimize your home for a stress-free work environment. It will definitely take overcoming a learning curve, but with some work and planning you can enjoy life as a mompreneur.
Are you expecting a new little one and want to feel more connected to them before they arrive? Then check out BabyFlix! With this technology, you can see and share ultrasound videos any time you want!